Libbey is a pretty familiar name in glassware. Their products are seen just about anywhere where you can purchase home goods. Around the holidays I see these beer glass gift boxes pop up everywhere from BJs to Wegman’s. They make great starter sets and can also be used to fill out home bars with some excellent utility glasses.
About this Beer Glass Set
This is a pretty decent starter set for anyone looking to stock up a home bar or fill out their collection of beer glasses. There are a few general utility glasses as well as a some beer specific utility glasses which means you’ll definitely get plenty of use out of it.
In this set you’ll get one of each of the following:
- Classic Pilsner glass (15.25 oz/451 mL): Really more of a modern take on the pilsner glass. I like this glass due to the weighted foot. There’s no chances of it breaking and it’s much more stable than some of my thinner pilsner glasses. Amazon has these for about $4 each.
- English Pub glass (20 oz/591 mL): “English Pub glass” aka the nonic pint glass. It’s large for an imperial pint (568 mL) but that’s just nit-picking. Nonic pints are also great utility glasses as they fill major roles in serving beer and other beverages. These can be found for around $7 a piece.
- Belgian Ale glass (16.6 oz/490 mL): A tall version of the tulip beer glass, this will fill a few rolls for you. This glass is great for lighter beers, especially highly carbonated ones which have brighter fruity aromas and flavors. You can get these glasses for about $4 a piece.
- Craft Pub glass (20 oz/591 mL): A large Willi Becher Tumbler. To be honest I don’t find a lot of occasion for this glass but it’s good to have handy as a utility glass. Here’s another one you can get for about $4 a piece.
- Porter/Stout glass (14.75 oz/436 mL): While they’re billing this as a “Porter / Stout” glass I’ve always thought of the tulip pokal as kind of beer utility glass. Porters, stouts, pilsners or lagers, you’ll enjoy them all out of a glass like this. You can get 4-packs of Porter Glasses for $5 a glass.
- Wheat Beer glass (23 oz/680 mL): A pretty hefty wheat beer glass. Not much more to say about this one. Amazon has 4-packs of Wheat beer glasses that average $5 a glass.
Final Thoughts and Notes
Again, this is a great starter set. The “English Pub” glass and the Wheat Beer glass will turn up in other collections (and are easy to come by) while the other glasses are a bit less common and worth picking up. Based on the included glasses, other sets I’ve seen, and the quality of the glassware I’d recommend looking for it in the $25- $30 price range.
As of this posting, Amazon has this set for about $30 which is pretty on par with the breakdown shown above.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Out of stock